I’m a little sad that the 12 Days of Christmas is coming to an end because it means that the Christmas season is drawing to a close…but, it’s ok because tomorrow is Christmas!! I have been having such a good time with my family and friends here in California. It was almost 80 degrees today! For this last day, my Dad and I decided to make another one of Grandma Fannye’s specialties…Scandinavians! I think these are very similar to thumbprint cookies. It is basically a shortbread cookie with walnuts and a dab of currant jelly; a little bit of tart and a little bit of sweet.
Here’s the original recipe that we used…in my Grandma Fannye’s handwriting and all.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine at room temperature (we used butter)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, separated (yolk for batter, white for topping)
- about 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- red currant jelly
While the dough is chillin’ like a villain, you can chop the walnuts. My mom has this nifty contraption that was given to her by my Grandma Dot (her mom), which is the one that she used to use while my mom was growing up.
My dad and I created a little set up on the dining table so we had enough room to work and could spread out. You’ll want a bowl with the egg white and a plate with the crushed walnuts along with the chilled dough and cookie sheet ready. To make the cookies, first grease a baking sheet and roll dough into a one inch ball. (Don’t forget to preheat your oven to 350 degrees!)
Thanks so much for joining me for the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies & Candies! I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!
If you missed the first eleven days of Christmas Cookies & Candies here’s some quick links!
- The First Day of Christmas ~ Peanut Butter Blossoms
- The Second Day of Christmas ~ Snowballs
- The Third Day of Christmas ~ Homemade Oreos
- The Fourth Day of Christmas ~ Almond Roca
- The Fifth Day of Christmas ~ Red & Green m&m Cookies
- The Sixth Day of Christmas ~ Salted Caramels
- The Seventh Day of Christmas ~ Easy Chocolate Fudge
- The Eighth Day of Christmas ~ Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls
- The Ninth Day of Christmas ~ Sugar Cookie Disaster
- The Tenth Day of Christmas ~ Peppermint Meringues
- The Eleventh Day of Christmas ~ Italian Pizzelles